Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Remember When
 Fergus Anderson Visit 1949
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

bruce pederick
Level 2 Member

Victoria

27 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  10:03:35 PM  Show Profile Send bruce pederick a Private Message  

I started racing in Adelaide in 1945 age 17
Associated with Les Diener (workmate) Laurie Boulter Bill Watson. Ray Trevana , and all the S A riders of note . In summer 1948/49 Fergus Anderson came to Oz with a works 500 v twin Moto Guzzi , which was the lap record holder in the IOM by Omobono Tenni the year before, plus the first 7R AJS in Oz and a works 250 cc Moto Guzzi Albatros, which was virtually identical with the machine Stanley Woods won the lightweight TT in 1936 which was in the historic lap on IOM in 1997 where I went with the great and late Arthur Wheeler. Fergus was soundly beaten in all his Australian races at Woodside S A Ballarat and Rowville by Les Diener, Syd Willis Harry Hinton and others . I was at Woodside and Ballarat but not Rowville . I think Fergus said re Rowville "it was the fastest scramble he had evey ridden in "
Fergus left the "Albatros" here , it was ridden by Sth Australians Les Diener , Bill Watson, Bob Reed and Laurie Fox . ( in fact Laurie Fox was leading the lightweight at Longford referrred to on another site when he lost concentration and slid off at the bridge referred to in the Longford site) It subsequently took a lot of polishing to get the skid marks off the outside flywheel.

Laurie Fox had a bad blow up and cast the bits in the corner of his shed whence I bought them as a basket case in about 1970.

By 1988 with engineering help from the late Les Diener the Guzzi appeared again in mint condition. In 1991 Arthur Wheeler , who rode Guzzis most of his international career was guest at Mallala historics. Les Diener phoned me(I was in Shepparton then ) to see if I would bring the Guzzi for Arthur to demonstrate . ---which I did

Arthur wanted to buy it then and there, however i resisted and had a lot of fun parading it at Mallala, Phillip Island, Winton and Broadford over the years. I became firm friends with Arthur and finally agreed to swop the Guzzi for his 1948 MKViii Velocette which he bought in 1949. So Joyleen and I off to UK with Guzzi in a box and Velo back. Had great time based at Wheelers at Worthing. Sad that Arthur left us at 84 from infection from a scun shoulder from a simple while out walking fall after 60 years racing. Still close friends with Ruby Wheeler. I had a great time on the KTT, Pre war Aust Junior champ, Eastern Creek 2000, 2nd same at Mallala 2002, 2nd NSW champs 2002, 3 2nds Phillip Island Feb 2001. plus various othe seconds and thirds at Winton and "old farts meeting at Mt Gambier"
(KTT qualified as pre war as identical to 1939 model in appearance.)
At Mallala 2002 at age 74 decided not to stretch my luck any more
The KTT had an ultra high bottom gear, always hard to get off the line, not built for a clutch start , often my lap times were equal to or better than those in front of me , except the first lap Bruped

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  09:00:39 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

Thank you for the little history lesson Bruce, I hope you more experienced gentlemen keep putting in bits and pieces like that because it adds another dimension to my appreciation of the sport.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  3:10:02 PM  

Bruce,

Thanks for a very interesting insight into some of our early racing, and history of some of your motorcycles.
Do you have any other memories that you can share with us about the earlier days, tracks, machines and people?
I for one would like to hear them.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  01:00:24 AM  

A good story Bruce. As you know I was good friends with Les Diener in his later years. I only wish I had recorded the many stories that Les related to me during our drives to Mt Gambier's Mac Park back in the 80s.

I well remember the day that Les took the restored Guzzi to Mallala for a test run, it was a really sweet bike to look at and listen to, wish it had been mine!

I'd love to hear more stories about Les and his exploits and to hear more about yours as well. I thoroughly enjoy owning and racing the last MOV pushrod Velo that Les owned, it is a real joy to ride and hear for sure. It has a distinctive note that was uncannily the same as his later DOHC Eldee replica, many of us marvelled at how similar these machines sounded, no idea why either.
I have not managed to get my hands on a timing side crankcase yet but will do so before the October meeting at Mac Park.

Speaking of which, I enjoyed the few times we had racing each other at Mac Park, our bikes were strangely rather similar in performance. It is a pity you have had to hang up the leathers, I guess it will come to me some time, but a long way off yet, hopefully.

Yes, please, more stories.
Thanks again and we'll see you later in the year on the water,
Greg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services